- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 red capsicum (bell pepper), chopped
- 1 long red chilli, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 410 g can chopped tomatoes
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves, to garnish
- Wholemeal (whole-wheat) pitas, warmed, to serve (optional)
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium–high heat. Add onion and capsicum and cook, stirring, 3–4 minutes, or until soft. Add chilli, garlic, cumin and ground coriander and cook, stirring, 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes, or until thickened slightly. With a large spoon, make 4 indentations in tomato mixture. Gently break 1 egg into each indentation. Cover and cook 5-6 minutes, or until egg whites are set and yolks are still soft.
- Sprinkle with fresh coriander and serve with warmed pitas, if desired.
For over 100 recipes to keep you fighting fit, see Anti-Ageing Diet Cookbook, available from Reader’s Digest.